The kitchen is a room in which a lot of fatty fumes and fumes are formed. In this regard, it needs special protection. This article will discuss how ventilation in the kitchen is done by hand.
Types of hoods for kitchen
Ventilation in the kitchen is an important thing, and with this hardly anyone can argue. Before proceeding with the installation of the hood, one should study its main varieties. So, it is customary to classify this device by the installation method and the operating mode.
Classification by installation method
Installation of ventilation in the kitchen will depend directly on the type of device selected. For today, the following types of cooker hoods are distinguished:
- Built-in. They are installed inside the cabinets or in the table. Thanks to this, they perfectly fit into any interiors.
- Suspended (they are also called standard or flat). They are fastened between the stove and the hanging cupboard. To date, this is the most common form of hoods.
- The wall. Install on the wall above the tile. They can have a very different design, you can see this by viewing various thematic photos presented on our portal.
- Corner. Are fixed in the corners.
- Island. Served for use in kitchens with an island. They can be installed in any room, as they are suspended from the ceiling.
By the method of work
In addition to the fixing method, the hoods are divided according to the type of work:
- Flowing. Their principle of operation is to draw the polluted air into the ventilation shaft (it is also called air discharge). On the assurances of professionals, this method is the most effective.
- Circulation hoods. They pass air through special carbon filters that give fresh air to the outlet. As the instruction says, they do not need to create an air duct, but this affects the efficiency of the device.
Calculation of required power
Before buying a hood, you need to calculate what minimum power it should have. Otherwise, the effectiveness of her work will be in doubt. Of course, this factor depends on the size of the room.
So, the conventional formula for calculating the required power is as follows:
P (power) = S (room area) * h (height) * 12
To get the most objective figure, the result is added to 30%. This is due to power losses due to the curved shape of the duct.
|Kitchen area, m2||Ceiling height, m||Required power m3 / h|
Table 1: minimum power for kitchens of standard sizes
Tip: When buying this unit, you should also take into account the level of noise emitted during operation. The acceptable limit is 50 dB. Models that produce a higher noise level will bring discomfort to the home.
Before you begin the story of how to make ventilation in the kitchen, mention should be made of electrical safety measures. The fact is that the device regularly gets into the device splashes of grease and moisture, which increases the chance of a short circuit.
In this connection, the hood must be connected to the network by three wires: earth, phase and zero. The grounding cable must be yellow with a green stripe. Before installing the exhaust equipment it is required to make a good grounding.
If the apartment has a ground loop and provides a euro outlet, then no problems arise. It is enough to connect the wire to the ground terminal (it is indicated by the word Ground (GND)). If there is no such connector, you can do it yourself by screwing the cable to the case.
However, it may be that the apartment does not have euro-sockets and, as a consequence, grounding. In this case, it is required to perform the zeroing yourself. So, the procedure should be carried out as follows:
- Open the electric shield (in the entrance) and find there a zero bus.
Important! Be extremely careful, because the wires are under voltage of 220 volts. Wear special rubber gloves.
- Most likely, on it you will find a ready-made pin, on which zero wires are laid. This is the very dead neutral and, hence, the pipe is qualitatively grounded.
- From it, you need to conduct a multicore wire with a cross-section of at least 2.5 mm2 to the kitchen.
- The hood must be connected via a 6, 3 ampere separating machine.
Very important! If any wires are already connected to the earthing, they can not be switched off, as this may result in a current shock or a short circuit. Their wires will need to be thrown over them, tightening the nut.
Mounting the hood
Of course, the ventilation device in the kitchen can be different, and the installation process will be different. It is impossible to foresee everything, therefore we will consider this operation using the example of a built-in flow-through hood built into the cabinet. The choice fell on this particular variety due to its wide popularity.
In order to make a really high-quality and efficient ventilation system, you need to start by erecting a box for the cracker. It can be made independently of their tinplate, galvanized sheet or aluminum. To do this, you just need to take four sheets of metal and connect them with screws (their version should be selected depending on the material selected).
However, you can make it easier and purchase an anti-return valve. This device is mounted in front of the ventilation shaft and opens like a butterfly. But still in this article we will consider a more thorny path.
- For convenience, the cabinet is first placed on a wall cabinet. Then it is fixed more tightly to the cabinet and all the cracks are closed with the help of mounting foam.
- First of all, you just need to try on the case of the cracker and make a marking on the cabinet to make holes.
- After that, you need to remove the cabinet from the wall and cut the hole in the bottom wall with an electric jigsaw for the lower frame. To do this, first drill a hole inside the marking area with a large drill. Then, a saw of the jig saw is inserted into this hole and the desired shape is cut in the cabinet.
- It is better to use foreign instruments, despite the fact that their price is much higher (in their quality they are at times superior to domestic counterparts). Further, in the same way, holes are made in the inner shelves for the duct. Thus it is necessary to leave a stock of 3-5 mm.
Next you need to connect the air duct. This is done as follows:
- In the holes made, you need to insert the corrugation. In the upper wall of the cabinet it needs to be shaped like a square.
- After that, the corrugation should be cut off, leaving a small margin, cut the corners and bend them outward.
- Then you can hang the cabinet with the corrugation on the wall. Do not forget about the processing of all joints of the duct sealant, in order to avoid power loss.
- The next step is to fix the box to the cabinet to ensure that the corrugation is connected to the ventilation shaft. It can also be applied to silicone by covering large slits with mounting foam.
- Now you can fix the hood in the cabinet, screwed it with screws. Further it is required to fix the corrugation to the hood as much as possible and fix it with a clamp.
- If the hood is connected directly, then simply connect the air duct to the ventilation shaft. To facilitate this procedure, you can use a grate with a round hole.
In this article, we discussed in detail how to create an exhaust ventilation. However, these or other points may remain unclear - in this case you can view the various training videos presented on our website. This is the most optimal option for learning something, because without a visual representation it can sometimes be difficult to disclose all the nuances (read also about how to install the hood in the kitchen).